Records relating to Hebblethwaite & Son, Land Agents
- Admin History:
Originally named after the founder of the company Thomas Frederick Hebblethwaite, Hebblethwaite land agency was established in c.1851. Thomas Frederick Hebblethwaite was born in c.1823 and died in 1890 in the Scarborough Registration District at the age of 67. He married Mary Frances Gleadow. At the time of the census in April 1871 he was recorded as being a land agent and land proprietor and was living at 2 Granville Terrace, Beverley Road, with his wife, ten daughters, 2 sons, and four servants. Hebblethwaite's son, William Henry Hebblethwaite born c.1852, later joined his father's business as land agent's clerk.
In an 1851 trade directory Hebblethwaite was recorded as being located at the Post Office buildings, Victoria Terrace, Anlaby Road. Hebblethwaite & Son, land agency was later situated in the Post Office buildings on Whitefriargate. In 1867 both T. F. Hebblethwaite and Hebblethwaite and Patrick, land agents and surveyors are listed in a trade directory as being situated in the Post Office buildings on Whitefriargate.
Hebblethwaite, who acted for the Harrison-Broadleys and several other families, had an annual turnover varying from £46,170 in 1856, the first year for which figures are available, to £156,173 in 1873, the year of highest turnover between 1856 and 1880. No resident agent dealt with amounts of that magnitude.
The Hebblethwaite land agency and surveyors company ceased trading in the mid 1980s.
- Includes such records as diaries (1883-1964), letter books (1891-1945), financial records (1856-1977), valuation papers (1803-1903), as well as papers relating to the Hebblethwaite family (1905-1971)