East Park Baptist Church, Hull, records
- Admin History:
The first decade of the 20th century saw Hull with two flourishing Baptist Churches, both in West Hull. With the east of the city being served only by a mission on Courtney Street, the Yorkshire Baptist Association decided there was a need to develop the east Hull ministry. As a consequence, a site was chosen on the junction of Holderness Road and Southcoates Avenue for Hull's third Baptist Church.
The first church, which opened in 1909, was a temporary structure. This iron building was eventually replaced by a new permanent one, which opened in 1914 and was designed by J. Illingworth of Leeds. With the Rev. Arthur Charles Carter as the first pastor, the church also took over the ministry of the Courtney Street Mission from the Beverley Road Church. The temporary building, known as the 'tin tabernacle' continued in use for some years afterwards and became an emergency centre during World War Two run by the W.V.S. In 1956 however, the hall was pulled down and a new one built which opened in 1964.
The church was active in the community for many years, with at one stage the largest Baptist Sunday School in Yorkshire. However, with a dwindling and ageing congregation and with the actual building suffering from issues of subsidence, East Park Baptist Church reluctantly closed in 2010.
- Minutes of Church meetings (1909-2010); Minutes of Deacons meetings (1915-2010); Minutes of Sunday School techers meetings (1909-1990); Girl's Auxiliary Committee meeting minutes (1924); Account books (1942-1954); Church Rolls (1909-1952); Applications for ministerial grants from the Baptist Union of Great Britain (1955-1977); Registrations for the solemnization of marriages (1910-1914); Programmes, booklets & Orders of Service (1909-1990); Records relating to the church trust (1914-1990s); Building plans (1956-1990s); Marriage certificate counterfoils (1923-1992) and Photographs (20th cent.)