Fig Tree Gospel Mission, Hull, records



Admin History:

The Fig Tree Gospel Mission was a member of the Assemblies of God, a pentecostal movement created in 1924, by Nelson Parr of Manchester, but based on congregations founded from earlier dates. Fig Tree Hall was one such congregation.

Although it was first registered in the front room of 34 Caroline Place in June 1925, with Gideon Gardiner as the General Secretary, the mission had its origins as early as 1915.

Sister Jennie Curtis was recognised as the founder and Superintendant of the mission on the 1st January 1924, although she had converted much earlier, in 1905. In 1930 the mission move to Sykes Street until 1939 when it relocated to Waltham Street. 1952 saw the mission move to another new site, this time on Charles Street, the last place it occupied before it closed in the 1980s. Sister Jennie died in 1959, aged 78 years old while Gideon Gardiner died in 1981.

Registers and minutes (1915-1978); Young Converts roll (1950-1973); Records of meetings (1944-1951); Outing and treats register (1923-1927); Accounts (1968-1981); Sunday School registers and weekly note books (1916-1948)