Deeds relating to properties in Hull
- Dates:
- 1736-1982
Description
- Admin History:
The Ropery, later renamed Humber Street, led off the Hull's High Street. It was the most southern street adjoining the River Humber until later streets were added after the town docks had been built and land reclaimed as a consequence. Blackfriargate was originally the site of an Augustinian Friary, whose members wore black habits. Queen Street, also known as Billingsgate, was one of the streets laid out during the improvements of the late 18th century. It was named after Queen Charlotte, wife of King George II. These 3 streets are all part of what is known as the Fruit Market area of the city. When the former Hull garrison or citadel was demolished, Tower Street was one of the sites that emerged as a result of those developments.
Canning Street, developed in the late 1820s- early 1830s, was named after Britain’s Prime Minister in 1827, George Canning. Spring Street, sited along the course of the Spring Ditch, which had brought water in Hull, was in 1830 to become a handsome street with a pleasant promenade. St. Stephen’s Square, built around St. Stephen’s Church, was regarded as one of Hull’s great Victorian churches. Short Street, laid out in the same period, was as it’s name suggests, a short street off ST. Stephen’s Square. The area was badly damaged in World War Two, with the church finally demolished in 1955. The area has been drastically altered after redevelopment in the early 21st century.
The Urban Regeneration Agency, which was part of English Partnerships, the national regeneration agency for England, was at one stage involved in the development of Hull's Fruit Market area and Boom. In 2008 these organisations became part of the newly created Homes and Community Agency.
- Description:
- Deeds for 21 Blackfriargate, 33, 34 and 35 Humber Street (formerly known as The Ropery), The Boom, Tower Street and 22-23 and 27 Queen Street, Hull, land at Summergangs, Drypool and at Canning Street, Spring Street and St. Stephen's Square, Hull.