Items relating to Hull Grand Theatre

9 Jan 1893-12 May 1930


Admin History:

The Grand Theatre was situated on George Street, Hull. It opened on Mon 9 Jan 1893 under the Directorship of Mr. John Hart. It was converted for cinema use in 1930 and its name was changed to the Grand Cinema.

Such was the Cinemas success that in July 1935 that the theatre was altered for use as a full time cinema and renamed the Dorchester Cinema when it re-opend three months later.

Although closing in 1977 it still occasionally opened for special screenings as well as the occasional concert. However, it finally closed for good in 1979 and was demolished in 1987.

Programmes, play/performance bills, postcards, advert and prospectus.