Records from the Hull Area Ministry Team of the United Reform Church (URC)



Admin History:

The United Reform Church (URC) was formed as a result of a union of the Congregational Church in England and Wales and the Presbyterian Church of England (P.C.E.) in 1972. Accordinlgy, some of these records relate to churches from the Yorkshire Congrgational Union (YCU), whilst others were members of the P.C.E.

In Hull, the Congregational Church has origins in a church founded in the 1780s, initially on Fish Street, but would later included churches and chapels in areas such as Nile Street, Hope Street (Providence Chapel), Cogan Street (Salem Chapel), Albion Street, Prince's Avenue (Memorial Church), Anlaby Road (Wycliffe), Newland, Hessle Road and James Reckitt Avenue. The Presbyterian Church, with it's first congregation in the 1650s, had a number of different churches in Hull on, for example Albion Street, Prospect Street, Newington, Anlaby Road, Chanterlands Avenue, Holderness Road and Spring Bank.

The first Congregational Chapel in Hornsea was built in 1808 and had connections with Hull Fish Street, as did the churches in North Frodingham and Selby. The Independents, who later renamed themselves Congregationalists, had their first chapel in Barrow upon Humber erected by 1784. Although in Lincolnshire, this church was part of the YCU.

Includes deeds, correspondence and other material relating to: URC churches; Albion Street, Hessle Road, Memorial, Wycliffe, James Reckitt Avenue and Newington in Hull: Hornsea, North Frodingham and Barrow on Humber, and land owned by the URC in Selby